- Event Report
FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
Date：October 18 to 27, 2012
The National Women’s Education Center of Japan held the 2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region on the theme of “Eradication of Violence Against Women” from October 18 to 27, and nine women from government organizations, NGOs and academic institutions in five countries in the Asia-Pacific region (Cambodia, South Korea, the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam) participated.
On arriving at the Center on Thursday October 18, the participants attended program orientation. After lunch, they had a lecture from Mr. Tetsuo Yamane, vice president of NWEC, on the history of NWEC, its function and programs, and visited the Information Center for Women’s Education and Women’s Archives Center.
1. The participants with Vice President Yamane after the lecture
2. Visit to the NWEC Information Center
On the second day (Friday October 19), the participants made a presentation of their country reports and discussed their approaches to eradicating violence against women in their countries. In the evening, they participated in an exchange meeting with members of Leadership 111, a group of Japanese women leaders, to strengthen ties with women leaders in Japanese companies.
3. The participants with members of Leadership 111
On the third day (Saturday October 20), the participants visited Women’s Net Saya-Saya, and had a lecture from the director, Ms. Kazuko Matsumoto, and from Ms. Ritsuko Nomoto, director of the National Women's Shelter Network, on how to support women survivors to become independent. At the end of the program, one Japanese survivor shared her experience with seminar parti in parts.
4. The participants with the staff of Women’s Net Saya-Saya
On the fifth day (Monday October 22), the participants enhanced their understanding of gender equality policy in Japan at the Gender Equality Bureau, Cabinet Office, and paid a courtesy call on the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). In the afternoon, they traveled to Morioka City.
5. Courtesy call to the Cabinet Office
6. Courtesy call to MEXT
On the sixth day (Tuesday October 22), the participants visited the Morioka Women’s Center and had a lecture from its director, Ms. Yaeko Tabata, and from Ms. Keiko Hiraga, chair of Sankaku Planning Iwate, an NPO, about the function and role the Women's Center plays as the main facility to promote gender equality in the community. They also learned about the Center’s activities, including the project to deliver relief supplies to the victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake in March 2011, their support in resolving gender problems at the time of disaster, their assistance for rural women to be economically independent, lectures about violence by young people toward their dates, etc. They exchanged views with the staff in the Center and had a tour of the facility.
7. The participants with the staff of the Morioka Women’s Center
8. Visit to the facility of the Morioka Women’s Center
On the seventh day (Wednesday October 24), the participants went with Ms. Tabata, director of the Morioka Women's Center, to the disaster-struck Taro District of Miyako City to observe the Delivery Care Project and the project helping women affected by the Tsunami to generate income. They also talked with Tsunami victims now living in temporary housing, who are the beneficiaries of the project.
9. The participants with a Tsunami victim in front of her temporary housing
10. The personal shopping car named “Mederu-car,” that runs an errand for Tsunami victims, and its staff
On the eighth day (Thursday October 25), the participants had a lecture on the “Training Program for DV Counselors” and a presentation entitled “NWEC Research Brief: Trafficking in Persons in Japan”, both given by staff of the NWEC.
On the ninth day (Friday October 26), Ms. Asako Osaki of Gender Action Platform joined as an advisor and the participants reported what they had learned in the ten-day training program, and prepared presentation materials for the International Symposium the following day.
11. The closing ceremony where participants received certificates
On the final day (Saturday October 27), the participants attended the 2012 NWEC International Symposium entitled "To Make a Society Without Violence Against Women a Reality" held in Tokyo, and representatives of the participants made a presentation about efforts to eradicate violence against women in Asian countries, and highlighted the issues and made policy recommendations.
12. Introduction to Japanese culture (tea ceremony)
Taking time out of their busy schedules, the participants also had an opportunity to learn about Japanese history and culture. On October 26 (Friday), they participated in a tea ceremony organized by NWEC volunteers. They rose to the challenge of sitting Japanese-style in a traditional tea room for the first time, watched Japanese dances and experienced Japanese culture.
<Past Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Regions>
- International Seminar
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2019 NWEC Global Seminar: Gender and Media
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- FY2018 Knowledge Co-creation "Program Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Flash Report on "Promoting Women's Education Seminar II"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- Japan Network of Women Engineers and Scientists and The Japan Inter-Society Liaison Association Committee for Promoting Equal Participation of Men and Women in Science and Engineering: 9th Japan Korea China Women Leaders Forum for Science & Technology
- Researcher from the KWDI visits NWEC
- Visit by a delegation from the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Ministry of National Defense
- Briefing on the Reykjavik Index for Leadership
- Women's Archives Center Exhibition "Beate Sirota Gordon and gender equality in Japanese Constitution"
- Visit from the Guangxi Women’s Federation
- Participation in the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- FY2018 International Symposium hosted by Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion and Education “Gender Equality at Schools”
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea