- Event Report
FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
Date：October 20 to 29, 2011
The National Women’s Education Center of Japan (NWEC) held the “2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region” from October 20 to October 29 under the theme of the roles played by women in disaster restoration. Representing 9 countries in the Asia-Pacific region (India, Indonesia, South Korea, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, China, Nepal, Pakistan, and Bangladesh), 11 women leaders working for headquarters organizations in each country, nongovernmental organizations, or educational institutions took part in the seminar as trainees.
On October 20, the 11 trainees arrived at NWEC. After participating in the program orientation, they visited the Information Center for Women’s Education and the Women’s Archives Center. After lunch, in the afternoon, they received a lecture on efforts from a gender perspective made by the Japanese Government and private organizations toward disaster restoration from Dr. Keiko Ikeda, Professor in the Department of Education at Shizuoka University. Additionally, they participated in a presentation on the history, functions, and operations of the National Women’s Education Center of Japan from Ms. Kubo, Vice President of NWEC.
1. Visiting the Information Center
On the second day of the training, the trainees spent all day engaging in country report presentations and having discussions from a gender perspective about efforts made in their own countries in a time of disaster. In the evening on the same day, they attended the networking event of the “Forum on Exchange in Research and Practices Promoting Gender Equality (NWEC Forum)” organized by the National Women’s Education Center of Japan and deepened exchanges with those who are promoting gender equality in Japan.
2. Attending the NWEC Forum Networking Event
On October 22, the poster session was held at the venue of the NWEC Forum. The trainees exchanged views with the Forum’s participants on efforts related to disaster prevention, disaster mitigation, and gender in countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
3. At the Poster Session
On October 24, the trainees deepened their understanding of the gender equality policy pursued by the Japanese Government at the Gender Equality Bureau of the Cabinet Office. They then made a courtesy call to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. In the afternoon, all the trainees moved on to Kobe City.
4. Courtesy call to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
On October 25, the trainees visited the Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institution to visit a space where they can experience what was happening at the time of the Great-Hanshin Earthquake through images and sound, and see a reproduction of the town immediately after the earthquake. They also saw an exhibition of the records of the disaster and learned about the restoration initiatives. They later visited Ms. Kazumi Inamura, the Mayor of Amagasaki City, at the Amagasaki City Hall and exchanged candid views with the Mayor, who is involved in child-rearing as well as in activities as a policymaker. In the afternoon, they visited “Trepied,” the Amagasaki Women’s Center. After taking a look around the facility, they listened to a lecture on operations, training courses, etc., carried out by Trepied. They then viewed a video message from Ms. Mutsumi Suda, City Council Member of Amagasaki City, followed by a lecture on how to deal with violence against women, which occurred during the period of disaster restoration. from Ms. Reiko Masai of the Executive Board of Women’s Net Kobe, part of the NPO Center for Supporting Women and Children. After the lecture, discussions were held with the trainees.
5. Visiting the Disaster Reduction and Human Renovation Institution
6. Exchanging views with Ms. Kazumi Inamura, Mayor of Amagasaki City
7. Visiting “Trepied,” the Amagasaki Women’s Center, and taking a look around the facility
On October 27 and 28, Ms. Asako Osaki was invited from the Gender Action Platform as a facilitator. The trainees reported the results of the 10-day training program and prepared materials for presentations at the International Symposium scheduled for the next day.
8. At the Closing Ceremony of the Seminar for Women Leaders
On the final day, October 29, the “2011 NWEC International Symposium for Disaster Restoration and Gender” was held in Tokyo. The trainees participated in the symposium, and a trainee representative made a presentation to raise issues and make policy proposals for the challenges common to each country, namely support for disaster restoration that reflects the needs of female victims, community reconstruction, and the roles played by women in establishing disaster prevention and restoration systems.
In between the lectures and visits, the trainees were provided with opportunities to learn about Japanese history and culture. On October 27, volunteers of NWEC held a tea ceremony class. In a tea ceremony house that the trainees tried for the first time to sit down Japanese style, which is kneeling on the floor with their legs folded beneath their thighs, and were served Japanese sweets and green powdered tea. Thus, they enjoyed Japanese culture.
The trainees commented as follows: “I was given a valuable opportunity to learn about efforts related to disaster prevention, disaster mitigation, and gender in each country including Japan,” “I want to leverage the network of people I created through the seminar for my future career,” etc.
Sincere appreciation is extended to those who received the trainees attending the seminar, as well as to the lecturers, and to those who cooperated as volunteers.
- International Seminar
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2019 NWEC Global Seminar: Gender and Media
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- FY2019 Knowledge Co-creation "Program Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- FY2018 Knowledge Co-creation "Program Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Flash Report on "Promoting Women's Education Seminar II"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- Japan Network of Women Engineers and Scientists and The Japan Inter-Society Liaison Association Committee for Promoting Equal Participation of Men and Women in Science and Engineering: 9th Japan Korea China Women Leaders Forum for Science & Technology
- Researcher from the KWDI visits NWEC
- Visit by a delegation from the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Ministry of National Defense
- Briefing on the Reykjavik Index for Leadership
- Women's Archives Center Exhibition "Beate Sirota Gordon and gender equality in Japanese Constitution"
- Visit from the Guangxi Women’s Federation
- Participation in the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- FY2018 International Symposium hosted by Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion and Education “Gender Equality at Schools”
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea