- Event Report
FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
Date：September 29 to October 10, 2010
The National Women’s Education Center, Japan (NWEC) organized the “2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region” from September 29 to October 10 under the theme of “Development of Women’s Leaders: Implications from Japanese Experience”. A total of 14 women leaders working for national machineries, nongovernmental organizations, or research institutions participated in the seminar from 11 countries in the Asia Pacific Region (Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Palau, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, the Philippines, Viet Nam).
1. Party of participants who have just arrived at NWEC
2. Commemorative photo with NWEC staff
On September 30, the party of participants arrived at NWEC. They attended a program orientation and then were lectured about the history, functions, and operations of NWEC. After lunch, they received a lecture from Dr. Kazuo Kuroda, Professor, Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, Waseda University on to what extent the Japanese experience can be applied to the context of developing countries in light of the history of the promotion of girls’ and women’s education under the Japanese educational system. Participants also visited the Information Center for Women’s Education and the Women’s Archives Center.
3. Lecture by Professor Kazuo Kuroda
4. Visit to Women’s Archives Center
On the second day of the seminar, participants spent all day presenting their country report and discussing the status quo of girls’ and women’s education and measures to develop women leaders in their own country. Also, on the same day, participants from African countries who were staying at NWEC to participate in the “JICA Training Programme for Young Leaders for Francophone African Countries / Administrative Management Course” listened to presentations by the participants of the Empowerment Seminar.
5. Country report presentation
6. JICA participants listening to country report presentations
On October 3, participants moved to Kakegawa City, Shizuoka Prefecture to visit the Yayoi Yoshioka Memorial Hall and the Shiseido Corporate Museum.
On October 4, at Shizuoka City Women’s Center, AICEL 21, they received a lecture from Ms. Mitsue Matsushita, Designated Manager on the operations of AICEL 21, and toured its facilities. Then they exchanged views with the staff of AICEL 21 on the promotion of gender equality in Japan and the Asia Pacific Region. In the afternoon, as a case study on women’s participation in society through entrepreneurship, they listened to presentations from Ms. Masayo Sonoda, President of Hokkyoku Shirokumado Inc. and Ms. Makoto Sato, President of Hair Supply Peer Inc.
7. Yayoi Yoshioka Memorial Hall
8. Shiseido Corporate Museum
9. Visit to Shizuoka City Women’s Center, AICEL 21 (together with the board on which ‘welcome’ messages are written in 11 languages)
10. View exchange meeting with staff of Shizuoka City Women’s Center, AICEL 21
11. Presentation by Ms. Masayo Sonoda (President, Hokkyoku Shirokumado Inc.)
12. Presentation by Ms. Makoto Sato (President, Hair Supply Peer Inc.)
On the following day, participants visited the Gender Equality Bureau of Cabinet Office, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, and Ochanomizu University to deepen their understanding of the gender equality policy pursued by the Japanese Government and leadership education and support for women researchers provided by the universities. Participants also learned about the “Summer School for Female Students of Junior High and High Schools” hosted by NWEC in August.
13. Lecture by Ms. Kyoko Ichikawa, Counselor for Gender Equality Bureau at the Gender Equality Bureau, Cabinet Office
14. Courtesy call on Ms. Kumiko Bando, Director-General, Lifelong Learning Policy Bureau, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology
15. Welcome address by Dr. Sawako Hanyu, President, Ochanomizu University
16. Lecture by Professor Masaki Miyao and Associate Professor Mari Murayama
17. Lecture by Mr. Masaru Sakuni, Program Division, NWEC
18. Preparation for reporting to “International Forum for Women’s Empowerment”
On October 8, to give further impetus to discussions on policy recommendations regarding education and women’s leadership based on what was learned in the seminar, an expert meeting was held. Ms. Koto Kanno, visiting scholar of NWEC and former Head of UNESCO Nepal, Dr. Hyunjoo Song, Professor, Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education, and Ms. Maki Hayashikawa, Education Specialist, UNICEF East Asia and Pacific Regional Office were invited to the meeting as commentators. Participants reported the results of their ten-day seminar training and prepared presentation materials for the International Forum held the following day.
19. Ms. Koto Kanno commenting on the participant’s presentation
20. Scene at the Expert Meeting
On the final day, October 9, to raise questions about the role of education in developing women leaders, which is a challenge common to each country, and make presentations on policy recommendations, participants participated as panelists in the “2010 International Forum for Women’s Empowerment,” which was held in Tokyo.
Despite a busy schedule of attending lectures and visiting various places, participants were also blessed with opportunities to learn Japanese history and culture. At the History Museum established at Ochanomizu University, which the participants visited on October 5, they looked at exhibits related to the progress of higher education for women in Japan. Meanwhile, on October 7, participants attended a class hosted by NWEC volunteers to teach them how to make etegami (hand-drawn postcard) by painting using brushes and pigments for the first time.
21. Visit to Ochanomizu University History Museum
22. Experience of making etegami
23. 2010 International Forum For Women's Empowerment
The following opinions were expressed by participants: “The seminar provided me with a valuable opportunity to grasp the whole picture of how women leaders are being developed in different countries including Japan”, “I intend to continue to work hard toward the development of women leaders, taking advantage of the personal network built through the seminar”, etc.
Cordial thanks are extended to all those concerned for kindly accepting the participation of the participants in the seminar, and to the lecturers and volunteers for their generous support and cooperation.
- International Seminar
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- FY2018 Knowledge Co-creation "Program Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Flash Report on "Promoting Women's Education Seminar II"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- Briefing on the Reykjavik Index for Leadership
- Women's Archives Center Exhibition "Beate Sirota Gordon and gender equality in Japanese Constitution"
- Visit from the Guangxi Women’s Federation
- Participation in the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- FY2018 International Symposium hosted by Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion and Education “Gender Equality at Schools”
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea