- Event Report
FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
Date：October 2 to 6, 2017
The National Women’s Education Center hosted the international program “2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region” from October 2 to 6, under the theme “Women’s Participation to Leadership Positions.” This year, ten women leaders who work for national machinery and NGO organizations participated in this seminar from five Asian countries (South Korea, Cambodia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Viet Nam).
Lecture by Ms. Utsumi, NWEC President
During the stay at NWEC, the participants attended an analytical lecture by Ms. Utsumi, NWEC President, on the current situations and issues surrounding female leaders in Japan, and they also learned about training programs NWEC offers to corporate managers and leaders. The participants asked various questions such as what measures and policies are being implemented in Japan to promote women’s participation in politics, and made comments such as that the strong preconceptions about the division of roles between men and women remain a major obstacle to women’s empowerment in their home countries as in Japan.
Visit to the Women Archives Center
They visited the Information Center for Women’s Education and the Women Archives Center, and presented their country reports. They also shared the latest gender equality policies and successful examples of women support in the five Asian countries.
Presenting country reports
On the third day, the participants visited ANA Head Office to learn about diversity management in companies. They were given a presentation on the initiatives being taken to shift the perspective from work-life balance support to place diversity at the core of their management strategies, and have the top management deliver messages about its importance. It was noticeable that the participants took notes diligently.
In the afternoon, they visited the Gender Equality Bureau Cabinet Office to attend a lecture about the gender equality policies taken by the Japanese government and exchanged views and opinions.
Gender Equality Bureau Cabinet Office
Then, they transferred to Kyoto by Shinkansen bullet train.
Moving to Kyoto by Shinkansen bullet train
During the last half of the program schedule, they participated in a study tour in Kyoto Prefecture. Kyoto Women’s Base is a hub organization established by Kyoto Prefecture in 2016 to support women’s participation and advancement. In cooperation with companies and related organizations in the prefecture, Kyoto Women’s Base is promoting a wide variety of projects such as formulation of action plans for promotion of women in small and medium-sized companies, development of female human resources, and correction of long working hours.
Kyoto Women’s Base
In Kyoto, the participants had an opportunity to exchange opinions with two female entrepreneurs. Ms. Machi Takahashi, CEO of Stroly Corporation, has established a company disseminating local brands and providing map utilization data through planning, development and operation of an online map platform that revolutionizes the conventional map apps. She is attracting increasing attention as a developer of a highly original business category that utilizes old maps and user-friendly maps.
Ms. Maki Morita of Morita Seicha is a female entrepreneur who is engaged in production and sales of Matcha sweets in Kizugawa, a major production area of Ujicha tea. Kyoto Prefecture is focusing on agri-business development and sixth-sector industrialization that take advantage of the unique characteristics of the area, and Ms. Morita is also actively engaged in the development of functional goods from the perspectives of female farmers as a founding member of the Network of Women Engaging in Agriculture and Forestry in Kyoto.
Tour to a tea plantation
Initiatives taken by the Network of Women Engaging in Agriculture and Forestry in Kyoto
As a last of the program, the participants visited the Kyoto City Gender Equality Center (Wings Kyoto) to take a tour of the facilities of the center, as well as to learn about the activities Wings Kyoto is engaged in, such as offering support to women suffering from domestic violence. Violence against women is considered as one of the factors that hinder women’s social participation in the home countries of the participants as in Japan, and they engaged in vigorous discussions on various subjects such as the purple ribbon campaign and the ideal way of continuous support to women suffering from violence.
After attending the closing ceremony, the participants returned to their home countries on October 7.
The outcome of this program is published now under the title of “2017 Leader Seminar Report,” which outlines model cases of social involvement support for women in the participating countries and Japan.
- International Seminar
- FY2019 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2019 NWEC Global Seminar: Gender and Media
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- FY2019 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- FY2018 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Flash Report on "Promoting Women's Education Seminar II"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- Lecture "The Beate Sirota Gordon Archives at Mills College"
- Participation in 2nd AGenT
- The 64th session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Wang from National Taiwan University visits NWEC
- Japan Network of Women Engineers and Scientists and The Japan Inter-Society Liaison Association Committee for Promoting Equal Participation of Men and Women in Science and Engineering: 9th Japan Korea China Women Leaders Forum for Science & Technology
- Researcher from the KWDI visits NWEC
- Visit by a delegation from the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Ministry of National Defense
- Briefing on the Reykjavik Index for Leadership
- Women's Archives Center Exhibition "Beate Sirota Gordon and gender equality in Japanese Constitution"
- Visit from the Guangxi Women’s Federation
- Participation in the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- FY2018 International Symposium hosted by Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion and Education “Gender Equality at Schools”
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea