NWEC Global Seminar
- Event Report
FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
Date：October 5, 2013
Place：the JICA Research Institute (Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo) ／
On October 5, 2013, the National Women's Education Center (NWEC) hosted the FY2013 NWEC International Symposium at the JICA Research Institute (Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo) under the theme of "Gender Equality for Men."
After welcome remarks from the guests of honor, Mr. Tadayuki Fujino, Deputy Director-General of the Lifelong Learning Policy Bureau, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology and Ms. Tomoko Samura, Director-General, Cabinet Office Gender Equality Bureau, two keynote addresses were delivered by two speakers.
The first speaker, Ms. Cassandra Kelly (Co-Founder and Joint CEO, Pottinger), spoke on the initiative of the Australian Human Rights Commission aimed at gender mainstreaming in companies, governmental agencies and the military through "Male Champions of Change," with the subject title being "Australia: Using Power and Influence to Make The Change" .
1. Keynote address (Ms. Cassandra Kelly)
The second speaker, Prof. Kimio Ito (Professor, Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University), gave a talk entitled "Men's Issues in Japan From Gender Equality Perspectives," in which he first pointed out that the gender-based division of roles - "Women stay home, men work" - had been shaped in the process of modernization and he proceeded to analyze, on the basis of empirical data, gender issues that men are faced with, including karoshi (death by overwork) triggered by long working hours and the growing number of suicides among middle-aged and senior men.
2. Keynote address (Prof. Kimio Ito)
The panel discussion, given the subject of "Best Practices for Promoting Male Engagement in Gender Projects," took place with a group of experts invited to serve as panelists, who are each playing an active role at an overseas or international organization or in their local region, and expert recommendations were presented, accompanied by accounts of case examples in and outside of Japan.
Dr. Ravi K. Verma (Regional Director for the International Center for Research on Women, Asia Regional Office) gave an account of the initiative in the form of courses and coaching with gender considerations in the field of school and sports instructions.
Ms. Junko Sazaki (Director, UNFPA Tokyo Office) emphasized that in order to ensure access to reproductive health, what is important is to regard men to be partners toward that end and promote their understanding and engagement. Her talk included a report on "Schools for Husbands," an initiative carried out in Niger, as a good example of a development project intended to have men engaged.
To conclude, Ms. Mitsue Matsushita (Executive Director, Shizuoka City Women's Community Center "AICEL 21"), representing Japan, discussed what should be noted when a women's center develops and gives any course targeting a male audience and presented the initiative of a networking group of male caregivers, whose profile in society still remains low.
3. Panel discussion
During the question and answer session, a number of questions were asked, including those about pros and cons of introducing a quota system, together with views that agree with keynote speakers and panelists whose presentations had implied a need to transform the existing male-led social structure.
In the lobby of the venue, there was an exhibition of posters illustrating gender equality policies in Cambodia, Mongolia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam that were created by participants in the international seminar organized by NWEC in advance of the Symposium, where scenes of networking were witnessed; for instance, Symposium participants asked questions to seminar participants.
4. Poster session
5. Keynote speakers, panelists, guests of honor
<Past International Symposiums>
- International Seminar
- FY2019 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2019 NWEC Global Seminar: Gender and Media
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- FY2019 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- FY2018 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Flash Report on "Promoting Women's Education Seminar II"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- Lecture "The Beate Sirota Gordon Archives at Mills College"
- Participation in 2nd AGenT
- The 64th session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Wang from National Taiwan University visits NWEC
- Japan Network of Women Engineers and Scientists and The Japan Inter-Society Liaison Association Committee for Promoting Equal Participation of Men and Women in Science and Engineering: 9th Japan Korea China Women Leaders Forum for Science & Technology
- Researcher from the KWDI visits NWEC
- Visit by a delegation from the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Ministry of National Defense
- Briefing on the Reykjavik Index for Leadership
- Women's Archives Center Exhibition "Beate Sirota Gordon and gender equality in Japanese Constitution"
- Visit from the Guangxi Women’s Federation
- Participation in the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- FY2018 International Symposium hosted by Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion and Education “Gender Equality at Schools”
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea