International Conference/International Exchange
International Conference/International Exchange
The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
Date：February 27 to March 9, 2012
The 56th session of the “Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)” was held at United Nations Headquarters in New York from Monday February 27 to Friday March 9, 2012. Two NWEC staff, one is from Information Division and the other is from Office of Research and International, have attended the session as members of Japanese Government delegation (Ms. Hiroko Hashimoto, head of delegation and representative ).
CSW for this year, representatives from UN member status and United Nations’ relevant organizations have delivered statements, and convened interactive events, such as high-level round tables and panel discussions, focusing on “The empowerment of rural women and their role in poverty and hunger eradication, development and current challenges” as the priority theme.
Representative Ms. Hashimoto delivered the statement on March 2, and in its beginning, she expressed the appreciation for all the supports from each country at the Great East Japan Earthquake. Subsequently, she addressed that the priority theme of the 56th CSW, empowerment of rural women had been set forth in “The Third Basic Plan for Gender Equality” as one of the 15 priority fields. In “The Third Basic Plan for Gender Equality”, to facilitate women’s participation as equal partners in managerial and other aspects of agribusiness, promoted further increases in the number of family management agreements as well as their effective utilization. Moreover, promoted supporting women entrepreneurial activities and diversification of agribusiness management.
This year, Japanese Government delegation submitted the resolution related to “Natural Disaster and Gender”, and brought up the necessity of gender-sensitive policy making throughout the phases of disaster prevention, post- disaster, and restoration. The resolution also stressed the importance to secure the women’s participation at the decision making during the restoration from the disaster. This resolution was adopted by fifty UN status including Japan at the last day of CSW.
The observance celebrating “International Women’s Day (March 8)” hosted by UN Women was held on March 7. At the event, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon highlighted that the potential of rural women to improve the well-being of entire societies if given equal access to resources and set free from the discrimination and exploitation that hold them back. And he urged governments, civil societies and the private sectors to commit to gender equality and the empowerment of women as a fundamental human right and a force for the benefit of all. At the panel discussion after his announcement, cases from around the world were introduced regarding to their effort toward the “Empower rural women”, and confirmed education is the key to empower rural women.
Also, CSW participants discussed about the efforts and the progresses for the agreed conclusion, “Financing for gender equality and the empowerment of women”, from the 52nd CSW. In addition, the panel discussion for the gender equality promotion program for young people, and the preparation meeting for the 57th CSW was held focusing on “Elimination and prevention of all forms of violence against women and girls” as its priority theme.
Japanese civil society organizations conducted lively transmission of information as well. On Thursday March 1, three NGO groups (International Women’s Year Liaison Group, National Women’s Committee of the United Nations NGOs in Japan, Japan Women’s Watch) held the side event, called “Disaster Restoration and Gender”, supported by the Permanent Mission of Japan to the United Nations. Kitakyushu Forum on Asian Women, Rural Women Empowerment and Life Improvement Association, and Human Rights Now held the parallel events during the CSW, and the participants were more than the seating capacity.
CSW was the valuable opportunity to develop and strengthen the network with national machineries of Asia Pacific region. During the CSW sessions, successfully being reunited with Dr. Ing Kantha Phavi, Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia, who had concluded collaboration. In addition, being reunited with Ms. Ciput Eka Purwianti, the State Ministry of Women Empowerment of Indonesia, who had attended the international seminar hosted by NWEC in 2009, and exchanged the latest information of gender equality policies of both countries.
Unusually, the 56th CSW agreed conclusion was not adopted. On March 9, the last day of the session, the resolution delivered by Japanese delegation, “Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women in Natural Disasters”, was adopted by consensus. The adopted resolution is available at Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.
The detail information of the 56th CSW, including archived webcast, are available at UN Women website (in English and other UN official languages).
NWEC plans to make presentation reports of the 56th CSW by attended members at the forthcoming training seminars in 2012. The schedule will be announced as soon as available at NWEC website.
Delegation of Japanese government attending the Opening Ceremony at United Nations New York Headquarter
Representative Prof. Hiroko Hashimoto delivering the Statement of Japanese Government at General Discussion
Great turnout at the parallel event organized by Japanese civil society organization
Reunion with alumni of the NWEC’s international seminar (in 2009), working at the State Ministry of Women Empowerment of Indonesia (the 2nd from the left in this picture)
Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon saluted with the observance celebrating “International Women’s Day”
- International Seminar
- FY2019 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2021 NWEC Global Seminar: Combating Gender-Based Violence – “Building Back Better” from the Covid-19 Crisis
- FY2020 NWEC Global Seminar: Covid-19 and Gender
- FY2019 NWEC Global Seminar: Gender and Media
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- FY2021 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- FY2020 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- FY2019 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- FY2018 Knowledge Co-creation Program "Promotion of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- The 66th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women (Hybrid format)
- Online meeting with international graduate students from the Appropriate Technology course at the University of Tsukuba
- The 65th session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Lecture "The Beate Sirota Gordon Archives at Mills College"
- Participation in 2nd AGenT
- The 64th session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Wang from National Taiwan University visits NWEC
- Japan Network of Women Engineers and Scientists and The Japan Inter-Society Liaison Association Committee for Promoting Equal Participation of Men and Women in Science and Engineering: 9th Japan Korea China Women Leaders Forum for Science & Technology
- Researcher from the KWDI visits NWEC
- Visit by a delegation from the Socialist Republic of Vietnam Ministry of National Defense
- Briefing on the Reykjavik Index for Leadership
- Women's Archives Center Exhibition "Beate Sirota Gordon and gender equality in Japanese Constitution"
- Visit from the Guangxi Women’s Federation
- Participation in the 63rd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- 7th Global Forum on Gender Statistics
- FY2018 International Symposium hosted by Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion and Education “Gender Equality at Schools”
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea