Cooperation with JICA
Cooperation with JICA
- Event Report
Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Traffickinh in Persons”
Date： October 19 to November 2, 2017
NWEC held the above titled seminar from October 19 to November 2, 2017. Focusing on the prevention of trafficking in persons (TIP) and the protection of victims, the seminar was attended by 13 people overseeing anti-TIP measures in seven countries: Thailand, Myanmar and Vietnam, where Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) has been conducting projects on anti-TIP measures, and Laos, the Philippines, Cambodia, and Malaysia.
During the first half of the seminar, participants were briefed by a representative of the Cabinet Secretariat on Japan’s initiatives under the Action Plan of Measures to Combat Trafficking in Persons, and during an inspection of facilities at the Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau, they were briefed on measures for the protection of victims and support for the repatriation of victims in cases of human trafficking as well as living arrangements at the reception center.
the Cabinet Secretariat on Japan
Tokyo Regional Immigration Bureau
At the National Police Agency and the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW), participants listened to explanations on the crackdown on human trafficking crimes, the protection of female victims, and a newly implemented technical internship program. In addition, they inspected facilities at the Women’s Consulting Center run by Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
At the National Police Agency
Cooperation between the government and the private sector is also important in anti-TIP measures. Therefore, participants also visited non-governmental shelter facilities and facilities that support mothers and children to become independent, where they learned about the protection of foreign women and support that takes a sympathetic perspective toward the victims. The participants also engaged in a lively exchange of opinions with an organization engaged in the support of young female victims of online pornography. At a network for promoting community spirit among migrant workers, participants listened to the hardships foreign workers face.
Visited non-governmental shelter facilities
Lively exchange of opinions
During the middle part of the seminar, which took place at NWEC, the participants learned about gender equality in Japan. After a briefing about why Japan’s gender gap index is so low at 114th place among 144 countries and measures to improve women’s participation in society, participants took part in an exchange of opinions. They also took part in group discussions on case reviews and on topics such as “protection” and “prevention” with persons in charge of international migration organizations, prefectural police, and lawyers from the Japan Network against Human Trafficking. During a break in the seminar, participants enjoyed experiencing Japanese culture in the tea ceremony room.
Welcome Address by Ms. Utsumi, NWEC President
The participants learned about gender equality in Japan and exchange of opinions.
Participants enjoyed experiencing Japanese culture in the tea ceremony room
In the latter half of the seminar, NWEC conducted a program that considered measures for making foreigners feel secure in living in Japan.
Considered measures for making foreigners feel secure in living in Japan
At the Kanagawa International Foundation, participants learned about counseling and support projects in line with life courses, and at an organization in Yokohama that conducts caregiver training for foreign residents in Japan, they learned about employment support that takes into consideration differences in language and customs, and cultural barriers.
Conducts caregiver training for foreign residents in Japan, they learned about employment support
At Yorisoi Hotline, a multilingual helpline for foreigners, participants exchanged views by comparing counseling services in their respective countries.
At Yorisoi Hotline
A JICA expert on the Thai-Mekong region also conducted a workshop.
Participants presented country reports and outcomes achieved during the seminar and exchanged opinions in the presence of representatives of relevant ministries and agencies, embassies in Japan, international migration organizations, the Japan Network against Human Trafficking, and non-governmental support organizations.
ASEAN Hand Shake
- International Seminar
- FY2018 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2017 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2016 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Region
- FY2015 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2014 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2013 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2012 Seminar for Gender Equality Officers and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2011 Seminar for Gender Equality Officer and Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2010 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2009 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region Final Report
- FY2008 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2007 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- FY2006 Empowerment Seminar for Women Leaders in the Asia Pacific Region
- NWEC Global Seminar
- FY2018 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion of the Advancement of Women - What Japan can learn from Iceland about Gender Equality?
- FY2017 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women Lessons from Germany
- FY2016 NWEC Global Seminar: Promotion for Advancement of Women –Lessons from Europe
- FY2015 International Symposium: Gender Equality and Women's Empowerment
- FY2014 International Symposium: Keys to Diversity and Women's Leadership
- FY2013 NWEC International Symposium:Gender Equality for Men
- FY2012 NWEC International Symposium:To Make a Society without Violence against Women a Reality
- FY2011 NWEC International Symposium
- FY2010 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2009 International Forum for Women's Empowerment
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report3
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report2
- FY2008 International Forum for Women's Empowerment Final Report1
- Cooperation with JICA
- Issue-specific Training “Seminar on Promotiom of Networking among ASEAN Countries on Anti-Traffickinh in Persons”
- Basic Information-Gathering Survey/Workshop Seminar on the Economic Independence for Women in Central America and the Caribbean (El Salvador/Dominican Republic)
- Regional Gender Seminar in Central and South America
- 2015 Issue-specific Training "Seminar on Promotion of Networking among Asian Countries on Anti-Trafficking in Persons"
- Flash Report on "Promoting Women's Education Seminar II"
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women
- Seminar on the Promotion of Education for Girls and Women II
- International Conference/International Exchange
- Visit from All-China Women’s Federation（ACWF）
- Participation in the 62nd Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 14th KIGEPE International Symposium “Empowering Women’s Leadership: expanding influence and innovation”
- Participation in the 61st Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- Visit from the Batis Center for Women
- 2011 Asia Women Eco-Science Forum (a forum of science and engineering leaders in Japan, China and Korea）
- The 60th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women
- The 59th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- The 58th Commission on the Status of Women
- The 57th Session of the United Nations Commission on the Status of Women
- International Symposium: Gender Awareness Education for Sustainable Development
- Thirtieth Anniversary Programs
- Attendance at the Ceremony Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Korean Women’s Development Institute (KWDI)
- Japanese-Filipino children (JFC)* from the Philippines-based NGO “DAWN” visit the Center
- Visitors from Abroad to NWEC
- Research report on Multicultural Family Support in South Korea
- Workshop on Gender and Education: Life-long Learning for Women’s Empowerment
- Lecture Delivered by a Visiting Researcher
- Connections: Bringing Together the Next Generation of Women Leaders in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
- Conclusion of Memorandum of Understanding on Exchange and Cooperation with the Ministry of Women's Affairs, Royal Government of Cambodia
- Visit to Japan by the Minister of Women’s Affairs of the Royal Government of Cambodia
- KIGEPE Delegation Visit
- Officials of Ministry of Information and Communications of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- The 56th Commission on the Status of Women
- Dr. Barker's visit
- Multidisciplinary Intellectual Exchange for Women Leaders from the United States, Japan, South Korea and the Philippines
- Courtesy visit to University of Hawai`i
- Delegation of Board for the Advancement of Women, Ministry of Finance of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Visit Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI)
- Report on Participation in the 5th World Social Forum on Migration
- A group led by the Vice President of the Korean Women's Development Institute visited NWEC
- A disaster management specialist from India visits the Center
- Visit to the Korean Institute for Gender Equality Promotion & Education (KIGEPE) and others
- Secretary of State, Ministry of Justice, Kingdom of Cambodia visited NWEC
- Research conducted in the Republic of the Philippines
- Research on the Comparative Study of the Gender Equality Policy in Southeast Asian Countries in the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Ochanomizu University and A Canadian Women’s Study Researcher visited NWEC
- Aigyung Yang, Research Fellow and Former Director of Strategy Board for Women Friendly Policies of the Korean Women's Development Institute (KWDI) Visits NWEC
- Delegation of the Ministry of Defense of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam visited NWEC
- Delegation from the Women and Development Center, of the Vietnam Women's Union, Visited NWEC
- The "7th Asia-Pacific Forum on Development and Gender" was held in Seoul, South Korea